Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Variables in Vectors? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 2, 2005
US
So here is my scenario. Im trying to work with variables more so I dont forget how to use them. This is the first time I will try to use them after my training.

So basically I want to setup a call vector but I want to try and use Variables.

Here is what the vector would look like if I would build it without trying to use variables.

wait-time 1 sec hearing ringback
announcement XXXXX
collect 5 digits after announcement XXXXX
route to digits with coverage y
goto step 2 if unconditionally
stop

Is it possible to use Variables? The 5 digits are actually the extension number. Im building some redundancy in our route patterns so that if we lose local and LD pipes we can route to a DID as a technical difficulties line asking to re input the 5 digit extension.

Thanks!

The Radio Revolution has begun....

Here's my thoughts on how to implement variables.

Remember there are 2 categories of variables
1) Vector Variables (A-Z)
2) VDN Variables (V1-V5)

So I will provide 2 ways to implement this.

First Vector Variable simple implementation is to define 2 vector variables as follows:
---------------------------------------------------------
change variables Page 1 of 2

VARIABLES FOR VECTORS

Var Description Type Scope Length Start Assignment VAC

A First Announcement collect G 16 1 12345
B Second Loop Announcement collect G 16 1 67890

Now for your vector

01 announcement A (A=12345)
02 collect 5 digits after hearing announcement B for none (B=67890)
03route to digits...
04 goto step 2...

Steps 01 and 02 are processed as if you programmed the following:
01 announcement 12345
02 collect 5 digits after hearing announcment 67890 for none

ADVANTAGES WITH VECTOR VARIABLES
The flexible part of vector variables is that you can change them by calling another vector that only you have permissions for. For example, setup a restrictive VDN pointing to the following vector:

01 collect 5 digits after hearing announcement <"enter A"> for A (stores the 5 collected digits into variable A)
02 announcement A ('A' now contains 5 new digits and if 'A' now contains a valid announcement, it will play)
03 collect 1 digits after hearing announcement <"okay? 1-yes"> for none
04 goto step 1 if digits <> 1 (if the announcement did not play correctly, loop back to reassign 'A' with new 5 digits)

Calling this vector will allow one to change the value of 'A'. You can also do the same vector programing for variable 'B'.

Also the flexibility with having announcements 'A' and 'B' is that other vectors could use these same announcement variables. The power comes in to play if for some reason, the greeting of the announcement needs to change, then just changing 'A' and/or 'B', you end up changing ALL vectors that contain the announcements with variables A and B. You don't need to go to all vectors and change the extensions like was previously required.

Second Implementation with VDN Variables we'll need to define your VDN Variables on the VDN form:

change vdn Page 3 of 3
VECTOR DIRECTORY NUMBER

VDN VARIABLES

Var Description Assignment
V1 1st Announcemnt 12345
V2 2nd Announcemnt 67890
V3
V4
V5

Now the vector that this VDN points to:

01 announcement V1 (V1=12345)
02 collect 5 digits after hearing announcement V2 for none (V2=67890)
03 route-to digits ...
04 goto step 2 ...

Steps 01 and 02 are processed as if you programmed the following:
01 announcement 12345
02 collect 5 digits after hearing announcment 67890 for none

Think of VDN Variables like the "1st Skill", "2nd Skill", "3rd Skill" fields on the first page of the VDN form. But unlike "1st,2nd,3rd skills", VDN Variables can be used in the announcement fields or most anywhere else in vector fields.

ADVANTAGES WITH VDN VARIABLES
VDN Variables can take advantage of customizing the vector behavior based on the VDN. For example, if you support multiple languages, say English and Spanish, let VDN 1 set V1 and V2 to English Announcements, and VDN 2 set V1 and V2 to Spanish Announcements.

You now have 1 vector pointed to by the 2 different VDN's and callers to the 2 different VDN's will receive 2 different language announcements!

The way you change the VDN variable is to readminister the VDN form and change the assignment of V1 and/or V2. Everywhere the V1 and V2 exists in the vector (subvectors-using "goto vector") associated with the VDN, the value of V1 and V2 will be changed accordingly. Note also the VDN Override rules apply to VDN Variables, which may or may not be useful.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back