Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using two modems on one phone line

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiefl

Technical User
May 19, 2002
US
I have a bed & breakfast with two rooms and one phone line. Is there a way to have guests that bring their laptops, connect at the same time? Each would be using their modem to dial and connect to their ISP. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Chief L

No. If you only have one telephone line, then only one call can be in progress at any given time. A more reasonable solution would be to provide DSL or Cable modem access for your guests. If you are in a rural area, Starband offers satellite DSL that is reasonably reliable.

There are some hotel/motel solutions that allow you to provide access on a billable basis (usually per day).

Good luck!
pansophic

Thank you for the responses. For now I will stay with the single line and let it be first come first served with a 30 minute time limit for on line connections.
Again, thanks for the help!
Chief L

Do you have any idea how you will enforce the 30 minute limit? And what do you do if they are on a voice call? Does the limit apply to a voice call as well as a data call?

Sorry we couldn't provide a better technical solution.
pansophic

The thirty-minute time limit, for both voice and data, will be on the honor system. I have found that most people follow the rules and those that don’t are not worth the time and effort to police.

I also wish there was an inexpensive technical solution. Until one shows up, I shall work on my window washing technique.
Chiefl

what i might do is make dail-up account with a local provider and have a generic username and pass that they could both use. the ISP should be able to set the time limit up on thier end. this way you would be offering free internet access and useing only one phone line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back