Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using two libraries at once

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandmann999

Programmer
Apr 28, 2001
US
Hi everyone,
I've been programming in QBasic for probably 20 years (as a hobby only), but this is the first time I've ever ventured into using graphics and sound libraries.

The two that seemed to work well for me are DirectQB and DS4QB (direct sound for QBasic).

The only problem I'm running into is that to use DirectQB, you have to put a /ldqb in the command line after QB.exe. When in this mode, it does not recognize the CALL ABSOLUTE command.

As most know, to use the CALL ABSOLUTE command, you need a /l after QB.exe and DS4QB uses CALL ABSOLUTE to run.

How do I get both to run at the same time? Any ideas? I've tried putting both on the command line (Qb.exe /l /ldqb) but it won't accept more than one.

Any ideas?

(Secondly, I'd use both the sound and graphics options that come with DirectQB and be done with it, but DirectQB only plays sound smaller than 64kb, whereas DS4QB can play entire MP3 files.)

Thanks.

You will have to combine the libraries into a new one.
There are examples of how to combine libraries around. It's
been a long time since ive done that as I work with powerbasic for windows now.

My website might if i recall have something on that in the tips.

Hrm...
Ok, after looking into it after reading your post, it looks like the direct sound stuff doesn't have a *.qlb or a *.lib attached to it. Its designed that you include a *.bas file as a module in your program, which works pretty slick.

The problem is is that it uses the CALL ABSOLUTE somewhere in its coding, which requires the /l parameter.

The directQB library is a regular library, but to access it, it requires /ldqb as a parameter.

So, does that mean I'd have to combine the DirectQB library with QBasic's normal library? Like, the DQB.LIB and QB.LIB?

yes - combine them (if you have the necessary files) into a new library called something else.

perhaps a better option than using include metastatement for the sound, would be to use the load option for the sound program. That will make it a separate bas that will be compiled separately then linked. Less chance of running out of space that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back