Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using truncate to remove decimal places 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

meumax

Programmer
Apr 13, 2002
AU
I have two number fields which I need to concatenate and I want to do this via a formula.

It needs to work thus: <number 1>.<number 2>

However, when I make a formula to do this it puts 2 decimal places at the end of each number so I end up with something like this &quot;99.00.3,499.00&quot; when I really want &quot;99.3499&quot;. (Incidentally, I also want to remove the &quot;,&quot; separator in 3,499).

I tried &quot;truncate(<number1>) & &quot;.&quot; & truncate(<number2>) but it failed to strip the decimal places like it says in the documentation. I've tried also &quot;int&quot; and &quot;round&quot; but also to no effect.

How do I rid myself off these decimal places?

Hi !

Try this:

ToText({number 1},0,&quot;&quot;)+'.' + ToText(number 2,0,&quot;&quot;)

/Goran

if I am reading this right, you have 2 numbers

number 1 = 99
number 2 = 3499

Your formula would be this:

{Number1}+{Number2}/10000

If these fileds are text, convert them to numbers as Garan suggested, then perform my calculation. Software Training and Support for Macola, Crystal Reports and Goldmine
251-621-8972
dgilsdorf@mchsi.com

Thanks Goramn. you post has helped me.

I still find it puzzling that truncate doesn't work though because according to the documentation it's supposed to get rid of decimal places.

DGillz, your idea is good, however, I have many numbers of different lengths in my tables so dividing by 10000 wouldn't work all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back