Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using transactions

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaidyanathanpc

Programmer
Nov 30, 2001
IN
Hi,
I need some help in using transactions. I'm running a transaction in ASP as shown in the code below which inserts data into two tables.

Dim conSQL
Dim conSQL1
Dim strSQL

Set conSQL = Server.CreateObject ("ADODB.Connection")
conSQL.Open Application("AppConnectString")

conSQL.BeginTrans

strSQL = "INSERT INTO " &_
" TAB1 " &_
"VALUES " &_
" (1,'TAB1')"
conSQL.Execute strSQL

strSQL = "INSERT INTO " &_
" TAB2 " &_
"VALUES " &_
" (1,1,'Tab2')"

conSQL.Execute strSQL

conSQL.CommitTrans

conSQL.Close

I'm doing an insert into TAB1 and TAB2 using transactions but the values provided are such that the second insert statement fails but the first one succeeds. i.e The insert into TAB1 does not give an error but insert into TAB2 gives an error and the entire transaction rolls back and no rows are inserted into TAB1 and TAB2. i.e when I do a select * from TAB1 and TAB2, no rows are retrieved. This is when I try to insert rows through ASP.

Now I'm executing the same transaction through SQl Server Query analyzer as follows.

BEGIN TRANSACTION @TranName

INSERT INTO TAB1 VALUES (1,'TAB1')
INSERT INTO TAB2 VALUES (1,1,'TAB2')

COMMIT TRANSACTION @TranName

Here too the values provided are such that the second insert statement fails but the first one succeeds. i.e The insert into TAB1 does not give an error but insert into TAB2 gives an error. But when the transaction is performed, the first insert commits data i.e data is inserted into TAB1 but no data is inserted into TAB2. i.e when I do a select * from TAB1 and TAB2, TAB1 retrieves one row but TAB2 retrieves zero rows.
How can this be possible? I am doing the same transaction using ASP and through SQL Server Query analyzer but the results I'm getting are different.

Thanks in advance
P.C. Vaidyanathan

THis is a Problem which I also encountered once.I dont think there is a simple solution to it.
Even StarDeveloper.com has given this code(transactions) and I informed them about the same.

Well there is a way to solve this.Mr Doug Dean can help you out.He has written an article on 4guysfromrolla.com about this issue and he handles this issue using COM with VB6.

So search 4GuysFromRolla.com for his article on transaction or go to
There most probabely you will find the code and article about the same.

Regards Rushi Shroff Rushi@emqube.com
"Life is beautiful."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back