Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using transaction for update and insert

Status
Not open for further replies.

e106199

Programmer
Nov 17, 2005
US
Hi,
i will be doing an update then an insert so i want to use the transaction to make sure if one fails the other wont do what its supposed to do. But there is a little problem, in my insert function i call the update function first. How can i run the same transaction while calling a function? If i dump all update function code in insert function section it gets ugly so i want to keep it seperate but also be able to use the same transaction for both.
How can i do this?
thanks in advance
-shane

it will be something like:
insert function start
declare transaction
update function starts with transaction
update function runs but transaction.commit isnt called yet
insert function runs with transaction
if everything is ok transaction.commit 'update and insert is now complete
something is wrong transaction.rollback 'update and insert both fail
end insert function

I'm not understanding what behavior you want. It sounds like you want them both to succeed, or both to fail. Correct?

If so, that's what a transaction does best. You may just be having some implementation problems. Declare & start the transaction before calling the update & insert methods. Pass the transaction object to them, and inside each check to see if the transaction object is not null/nothing. If it isn't null, you can assign it to the transaction property of your command object (meaning: this update/insert is taking place inside a transaction). If it is null, then don't set it (meaning: this update/insert is not taking place inside a transaction, which may be OK for your app, but isn't generally a good idea).

If an SQLException or System.Exception was thrown somewhere in your update/insert code, you'd roll back the transaction. Otherwise all is well and you can commit.

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back