Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using three monitors in vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfamo

Technical User
Feb 16, 2006
NO
Hi,

I'm currently trying to set up my computer with three monitors using extended desktop. Here is what I've bought:
- HP DC7800 with Vista Business (on-board Intel Q35 Express Chipset Family graphics card)
- 3xHP L1950 monitor (DVI and VGA input)
- ATI Radeon HD 2400XT (256MB DH) PCIe Graphics Card (DMS59 -> 2xVGA output)

When I installed the ATI graphics card, the integrated Intel graphics card dissapeard. I cant even find it in the BIOS. According to the store I should be able to run three monitors using this setup. HP faq also says that this should be possible. Is there a WDDM conflict here?

Any suggestions on how to solve this would be greatly appreciated!!! thanks!

bfamo said:
According to the store I should be able to run three monitors using this setup...

Well, the store was trying to sell you a video card...I'd start there and ask them exactly how you're supposed to do it when there's no BIOS option to enable use of their card with your onboard gfx.

Many BIOSes defeat the onboard video when a discrete video card is connected, with no way to enable it. I did a little research with no luck. You could always add a second card, judging by the quality of the first card you could probably even use a PCI-e x1 card. I'll keep sniffing around.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Thanks Tony!
HP recommends this card when using three monitors, but I cant find more info on how youre supposed to get this to work! frustrating!

bfamo,

This user had the same question for HP and you can see their answers...all of which entail two cards, including their own ADD 2 card. The only way the onboard graphics can be used is with a PCI, not PCIe card, according to this post. The only 3-head card I'm aware of is the matrox TripleHead2Go, and it's pricey.

The poster makes mention of SLI but I believe that if you're using SLI or CrossFire, you need to leave the cards independent. This point is moot because you only have one x16 PCIe slot. Keep in mind that you will need to make sure the second card will fit, the specs I looked at called for low-profile cards.

Tony

Users helping Users...

bfamo, when you review the spec of the HP DC7800, there is no mention of crossfire. Without crossfire support the 3 monitors will not work. There are motherboards that will use the onboard graphics card in combinaton with a video card in the PCIe slot. You might have to get a different PC in order to pull this off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back