Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using threads and syncronization with a ring buffer

Status
Not open for further replies.

sph147

Programmer
May 17, 2004
US
OK, the basic setup of this project is basically one function that is pulling information from a hardware device when its available in the form of a large character array and then processing that information. The problem is that i can't do too much processing because i don't want to miss any information being sent. My solution, threads and something described to me called a ring buffer.
So now my question is where do I put the functions that do the processing? In the get function that is pulling from the buffer and has the pthread_cond_wait going on, or elsewhere? For that matter where do i put the other function that gets the information? Inside a loop in the put function where the pthread_cond_signal happens, or elsewhere? If anyone has some experience with pthreads or a problem like this, any input would be helpful, thank you.

I think you need thw threads

first step
HANDLE hEvent = CreateEvent(.....);
thread 1. read the buffer:
....do something....
//wait for an event what you will
//create in some other place
WaitForSingleObject(hEvent...);
read the butter there

thread 2. Wake up the event
...if there is some data....
SetEvent(hEvent);