Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using the Windows Registry

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjme88

Programmer
Dec 28, 2007
GB
hi,

I could do with some advice about using the windows registry is it a good idea or not or not.??

I am creating quite a complex application using MS SQL Server 2005 as the database and an MS Access 2003 adp propject for the user interface.

There are a number of user specific variables that i need to make use of while the app is running and was wondering where the best place to store them is. I know I could store them in the database but reading and writing to the registry seems so easy but is it really sensible?? so if anyone has any advice as to best practice I would be grateful to here your views.

Thanks
jj

If I need to retain something from one session to the next, then I've always stored it in a table (a user here would not necesarily always use the same PC).

If it's only required for the current session, then I sometimes hold it as a global variable (or global string etc) rather than in a table.

Having said that, tbh, I've never touched the registry because it's something I know nothing about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back