Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USING THE SAME IMAGE MORE THAN ONCE...

Status
Not open for further replies.

grizzlyadamsuk

Technical User
May 22, 2003
US
I want to use the same image more than once , and would like not to have a copy of the image source for every instance ( does this make sense ? )

help

hi,

the best thing to do in InDesign is create a lybrary.
File>New>Library
Place your photo once.
Select the photo
Click on the black triangle on the right of the Library window
Click on add item
now you will see the picture in the library.
To place the photo again select the photo in the library and drag onto your page.
If you want the picture on the same place on every page you do the following:
before adding the photo to the library position the photo where you want it, then add item to the library.
In stead of dragging the photo onto your page go to the black triangle on the right of the library window and select Place item(s)

You can use the library not only for photographs, but also for bits of text, logo's and so on.

You can also use the Master page function.
Create a new master page, select the new master page, place the photo and position it. If you apply this master page to one of your normal pages all the items on the master page will be on the page of your document. But you can't edit the photo or any other item of the master page.

Hope this helps
grillhouse

Thanks. Makes sense.

Also, Would I be better to have the image cropped to the size I require for each size of use in the doc ie:

The image may be used at both 4*3inches and at 1.5 * 1 inches.

I suspect that I should cut/crop/dpi to make the image OK at the largest useage size and work down.

dunno. maybe its the sun making me stupid - we see so little of it here

hi grizzly,

you can store different formats of the same photo in the Library, but what I suggest that you make two different versions of the photo in photoshop or a similar app and give them a name so you can see the difference when selecting the photo in your library.

grillhouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back