Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using the max resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattquantic

Programmer
Mar 28, 2004
GB
Hi. I have a Dual Quad Core (8 processors Intel Xeon X5355 2.66 Ghz) machine with 16GB of ram. Using Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

It work very fast (expected) but I'm fairly sure not all the resources are being used where possible.

For example, photoshop PS2 can only address 2GB of ram (limited by the software), and I'm imagine there are similar things with other software.

I knew this when buying this machine but I thought that it would mean I could run loads of stuff, all at the same time at max performance for the software in question.

It seams that some software can only see the first 4GB of ram - then,, even if there is another 12GB avail - it doesn't use it.

I know that this machine will only really come into it's own when all the software I run is release as 64 bit. But for now, can anyone shed any light / give me some advice on leveraging more of the power?

M@)

I'm green with envy & I hate you LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
I want one of those.

OK - having got that out of the way.

I'm not sure what your issue is. You obviously understand that some software is still limited. Like PS2 as you mentioned. But I assume Vista is reporting 12GB of RAM correctly?

So, presumably if you load up PS2 and enough images it will grab 2GB of RAM? Load up some other RAM hungry application and it will grab another chunk and so on. With 4 processors they should all co-exist quite happily - so you should, say be able to process a large video - say encoding from RAW to DIV-X, and run a batch process on PS2 on say a 1000 images and then play a game or surf the net or search a database or whatever with very little if any apparent delay?

Or is that not the case?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I was single I looked for miss right. When I married her I discovered her first name was always.

Hi. I'd quite happily hand it over for the 8.5k it cost. (it also has two very expensive graphics cards)

(the ram is 16GB) Which windows reports all of - and shows 8 processors in task manager.

But it 'seams' that the 32 bit aps lose performance significantly when there's loads open.

I'll perform some more tests - just wanted to know if there was something obvious going on.

Cheers. M@)

and shows 8 processors in task manager

That's sick. [3eyes]

64-bit Vista is just not ready yet, I don't know why MS would release an OS without sufficient hardware/software support...oh yeah $$$.

It would seem to me that 32-bit Vista or 64-bit XP might be faster if it can use all the RAM with your apps...but I have no point of reference for this...just a suspicion.

Tony

Hi Tony. I'm certainly an early adopter. I'll just be patient. In contrast to the general chatter. I use (as you can guess) lots of differnt types of apps of varying complexity, cost and manufacturer.

So far everything is technically 'working' and I'm in bliss with the vista experience every day.

> looking forward to the software world launching their various updates to match this machine and the new hardware that's now around.

Thanks for you time sir.

M@)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back