Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using sysprep and Ghost with IIS 6.0 Servers (2003 Web Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHead2

Technical User
Dec 18, 2001
I used sysprep to prepare and Ghost to duplicate an image for an IIS server. When I dump the image and resetup Windows everything works fine except I cannot start IIS or SMTP services. This is on Windows 2003 Web Edition,

Anyone have any experience with this?

I haven't used sysprep with 2003 yet, but it could be that 2003 is more dependent on the computer name than 2000 is. Or IIS is trying to run as an account that might have the same name but a different SID. I've seen services on 2003 that run now as 'network service' such as windows media services (thanks, MS) and not 2000's local system, etc..

Yeah, I'm thinking along those lines as well. Even when using sysprep with 2003 a lot of things that incorporate the machine name (computer accounts, registry settings, etc.) do not get the new machine name.

This could make it difficult to deploy on 2003...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back