Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using symbols 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGandalf

Programmer
Jul 19, 2005
NL
Hi,

I have a windowsform with some buttons on it with the following captions: ?, ? and ?.

When I restart my computer these letters turn into i, g and s.

What is going on? How can I use these special characters?

Are the captions of a symbol font or some extended ascii characters? I only see ?, ? and ? in you post so that doesn't help much...

Regards, Ruffnekk
---
Is it my imagination or do buffalo wings taste just like chicken?

From a symbol font. I now see I can't type it in this post. It get's replaced by "?".

They are 3 symbols I copied from word.

If you copied them from a Word document, did you then set the font of the buttons to the same font of the Word selection?

Regards, Ruffnekk
---
Is it my imagination or do buffalo wings taste just like chicken?

If the symbols aren't part of the Win-1252 codepage, VS.NET should of asked you if it was OK to change the encoding of your form's .cs file when you went to save it (to something like UTF-8).

You can still do this by doing a File | Save As... and in the dialog, click on the drop-down arrow near the Save button, and select "Save with Encoding...", where you'll get the opportunity to save it as something other than Win-1252.

Chip H.

Ruffnek:
I haven't change the font. Will try this and let you know.

Chiph:
How can I determine which codepage the symbols belong too?

The cs page you save in a different encoding is the page that you use to display the special text.

if you are displaying the text in Form1, then you would save Form1.cs as a specially encoded form.

<insert stupid signature here>

Solved it.

In Visual Studio .NET. File -> Advanced Save options. Changed it to "Unicode - Codepage 1200".

Thanks chiph for putting me to the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back