Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Swing

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDM

IS-IT--Management
Jan 10, 2001
AU
Hi we are thinking of using Swing as a front-end to some APIs that have been developed by a 3rd party company, instead of using JSPs which we have currently developed. As Swing is relatively new, I was wondering if anyone had any experience developing large-scale apps using Swing and what the pros and cons are.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Firstly, Swing is far older than JSP's as it came in with Java 1.2. There were some initial speed problems which have been largely improved by Java 1.3+.

If you are producing Applets for use by the general public it is often better to use Java 1 (which doesn't include Swing). This is because browsers will need to have a Java 2 add-in loaded to run. Cynics may say that a large software corporation that produces operating systems didn't include Java 2 in its browser on purpose to undermine Java use.

If you are producing applications then Swing is far easier to program than awt. I would advise reading a bit about patterns, especially the Model-View-Controller pattern as this is key to how Swing components work. I have some references on
Swing will increase the functionality, but will be more complex to use than JSPs (fairly onviously). My home ----> visit me for Java and Data Warehousing resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back