Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using ssh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

terpster

MIS
Mar 18, 2002
US
Can a windows admin snoop my ssh session?

Yes...but. Any admin can monitor keystrokes (and any user that can install software that runs as a service). As far as snooping the session on the network, this too can be done, but the amount of intelligible data that can be collected is relatively small. All of the critical data in an ssh session is encrypted. There is a hack to allow simplified brute-force password guessing based on ssh sessions, and there is always transaction data that could potentially be analyzed.

But if I were the administrator, I'd just install a keystroke monitor on your system and greatly simplify my life.

pansophic

1. Review what your doing and if it conflicts with company policy.

2. Look at policy in regards to monitoring.

If theres no policy in regards to monitoring, its actually illegal. So if you get fired for connecting to your home PC and scripting or who knows what... But they found this out by using keyloggers and such with out telling you of the presence of one or without a company policy... You may be able to consult a lawyer regarding wrongful termination

Anywho... Consider what your doing at work that your so curious about this topic ;) oh and btw use protocal 2. much more secure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back