Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using SQL Server 2000 with RoR 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

markgrizzle

Programmer
Aug 3, 2003
US
Just some random questions... working on my first RoR/SQL Server 2000 app.

Do I need to have the database running locally during development?

How do I confirm my rails app is connecting to my remote server?

How do I handle migrations to a remote server?

I need to display relational data in a pivot view. Normally I'd write a stored procedure to handle this, and return the formatted results. Is this easier in Ruby?

Lastly, have you found any good reference sites/documents for RoR/SQL Server 2000? Everything I've found assumes MySQL.

I'm using RadRails/Aptana Studio/InstantRails on a MacBook Pro/Parallels/Windows XP setup.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

ps - I'm not that bright so take it easy.

In the order that you asked the questions:[ol][li]No, it shouldn't make any difference[/li][li]Run a trivial migration. Rake will have to connect to the DB, and will create the version table. Or not, if it can't connect...[/li][li]Same as any other, just run the rake task.[/li][li]Active::Record is a full-on ORM layer. Although it will let you hand crank your own SQL, you should try to use its features to do what you want before reaching straight for the SQL cookbook[/li][li]Once you've got the connection string set up in the YAML file, if you are using Active::Record whichever database you use should be transparent. If it's not, maybe you should reconsider your design.[/li][li]This Ruby forum doesn't get much action. is a lot busier, and they field a lot of questions on database/table/class setups.[/li][/ol]

Steve

[small]"Every program can be reduced by one instruction, and every program has at least one bug. Therefore, any program can be reduced to one instruction which doesn't work." (Object::perlDesignPatterns)[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back