Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using SQL Joins in JSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tango524

Technical User
Mar 10, 2003
US
Hi- When I try to use a standard sql query SELECT FROM WHERE in my jsp code, I can pull data, but when I try to use a join in my code, there is a problem. I've used both the ansi join and the MS join in my code. My code has looked something like this...

SELECT Table1.Field1 FROM Table1 JOIN Table2 ON Table1.Field2=Table2.Field1 WHERE Table2.Field2 = '" + variable + "'

or

SELECT Table1.Field1 FROM Table1 , Table2 WHERE Table1.Field2=Table2.Field1 AND Table2.Field2 = '" + variable + "'

So I think it might be a problem with my Access DB relationships. I have the fields indexed and I have the tables linked and have tried the different relationship options. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Can you perform the query in Access successfully ?

Are there errors, or do you just get nothing back ?

Yes- I can perform this in Access sucessfully and I can perform the sql query in jsp using one table, but I have a problem when I try to join two tables to use data from both tables. There is no error. It just shows a blank screen on the browser and is done running.

Thanks!

I can think of no reason why the query should work in Access (via the SQL editor bit - yes ?) but no via JDBC - there should be no *difference*.

Are you sure that the variable you are passing via the JDBC call is definitely correct, and yields results ?

How are you retrieving results - via a ResultSet ?

Yeah- It baffles me too! My result set is embedded in my table tags. It is like this below.

<%=rs.getString(&quot;Field1&quot;)%>

Thank you for your support.

Oh- and yes, my variables passes and everything works if my sql query only uses one table in the WHERE statement like this..

SELECT *
FROM TABLE1
WHERE FIELD1 = '&quot; + Variable + &quot;'

Thanks!

Instead of your rs.getString(&quot;Field1&quot;) try :
Code:
int columns = rs.getMetaData().getColumnCount();
while ( rs.next() ) {
  String tmp = &quot;&quot;;
  for (int j = 1; j <= columns; j++) {
     tmp += rs.getString(j) +&quot; &quot;;
  }