Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Spybot as a Limkited User

Status
Not open for further replies.

CondorMan

Technical User
Jan 23, 2005
GB
I am the only user of a laptop with XP Pro SP2 which is fully patched. I have Spybot Search & Destroy 1.4 which I installed as a user with Admin rights. I use the computer on a "day to day" basis as a user with Limited rights and the Admin rights only when I have to for maintenance (Windows Updates, AV Updates etc.).

I've noticed that, over the last 6 months or so, I've had intermittent difficulty updating the Spybot files when logged on as a the Limited user. This sees the necessary files but download fails with all servers. As soon as I change to the Admin user, it updates Spybot perfectly normally at the first attempt. I wondered initially if the servers were overloaded but, as it's happened several times intermittently, I wonder if there's another cause. Any ideas?

A second question is about scanning. I assumed that scanning when logged on with either Admin or Limited rights would scan everything on the computer and make the appropriate recommendations, but it doesn't. When I immunized with Limited rights, it saw about 9,000 already blocked and a further 200 to block (I just tried to fix them but it wouldn't do so). When I immunized with Admin rights, it said that there were about 17,000 already blocked with an additional 150 which I've just been able to block. Why the inconsistency and how can I block those identified in the Limited account?

I have AV which is fully up to date (and clear) and my HiJackThis log doesn't give any clues.

You could ask your question at the Spybot S+D forum.

Options that maybe available to you would be perhaps the RunAs command?

294676 - HOW TO: Enable and Use the "Run As" Command When Running Programs in Windows

This might be useful in your situation too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back