Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using spare Wireless AP as signal booster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberspace

Technical User
Aug 19, 2005
GB
I've just installed a new 3Com 9550 Access Point to replace a somewhat flaky 8760

We're still using G so not taking the full advantage of N and I was wondering if I could use the 8760 to act as a wireless repeater for the 9550 to improve signal strength downstairs in the office?

I've had a look at the config for the 8760 and can't see anything - so any tips would be appreciated

'When all else fails.......read the manual'

What I had to do to get an identical D-link WAP set up as a repeater:

Give it the same network name
Give it the same encryption
Connect it to the LAN with a crossover cable

I know there are better and more efficient ways but after struggling with D-Link technical suppooort this was the only way I could devise. It does work, but I'm sure there's more elegant ways to do it.

Tony

Users helping Users...

You said, "to replace a somewhat flaky 8760". Let's hope it won't become a "flaky" repeater... [sad]

Do you have a wired LAN connection that you can plug it into (as Tony suggested), or are you wanting to use this as completely stand-alone wireless repeater?

If the latter, then it will need to be programmable as a REPEATER and not an ACCESS POINT. Does the 3Com software/firmware give you this option?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Thanks chaps!

Not to worried if it is a little flaky as a repeater as the signal is quite good all over the office anyway, especially for those users with N cards

The AP doesn't have the option to change to a repeater.

I thought about giving it the same name, but won't both show up with the same name so users wont know which to connect to?

'When all else fails.......read the manual'

I don't think naming them the same is a problem as much as having them running on the same channel...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back