Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using SMB to connect OS X to win2K shares, not all shares appear

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHead2

Technical User
Dec 18, 2001
I have OS X clients connecting to Windows 2000 shares using SMB. There are 12 windows shares setup on the server yet the Mac clients only see ten of them. Windows clients can see all of the shares and the shares are setup identically.

I am totally stumped with this, anyone have any ideas?

This is a problem with mac os 10.2.8.
Try using the afp protocol instead of smb, for instance...
Go>Connect to server then instead of smb:\server ip address try afp:\server ip address.
One of the apple updates causes this and it was the only way I could work around it apart from re-initialising the hard drive and rebuilding the OS

I'm running 10.3.2

The file shares in question are running on a windows cluster which doesn't really support AFP (macs cannot 'see' the cluster name when using AFP)...

If anyone cares, the problem was that the share names were longer than 12 characters which apparently the Mac has problems with...

WTG Apple...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back