Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Shut Down reboots computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimXray

Technical User
Dec 1, 2001
CA
I am running W2K Pro and when I go through "shut Down" my computer actually does a restart and then Windows checks all of the partitions for integrity and then continues normally.

The only way to shut way to shut the computer down is to use the power button.

I am not using a UPS or any power saving features.

Try the win2k forum (I don't have the number handy, sorry)They might be able to help. Take a look at how your power options are set up in BIOS.

Look in Event Viewer, System Log for an error or errors at the time of shutdown. To prevent the reboot, (the clicks are from XP, but I think 2000 is the same) right-click My Computer, select Properties, Advanced tab, Startup and Recovery section Settings, System Failure section uncheck Automatically restart. The next time an error occurs, you should receive the (in)famous blue screen with the STOP error information supplied. Post this information and maybe we can help interpret it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back