Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Shockwave in Asp.net web application

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaybousquet

Programmer
Oct 21, 2005
US
I've been using shockwave in asp.net web pages for 2 years now - with everything working grand. But recently I added a Windows 2003 Server and xp pro machine. All my previous application from 2000 Server work fine except for one major thing! Linked external files are not being recognized by the application. Any cast members in external files just don't show up. I think it must be due to 1) server 2003 treats files in web site folders differently or 2) The latest version of IE 6.1.2.... is somehow "missing the link". Does anyone have any ideas or could point me to someone who might help.

Thanks, Jay

hmm, my guess is its IE, check IE's settings...

Known is handfull, Unknown is worldfull

Hey vbkris -

Thanks for answering. I have been over the IE settings again and again, mostly trying to be sure that activex material is allowed or "enabled" as much as possible. This problem is really a thorn in my side. I would be willing to reward anyone who can lead me to an answer - say $100... I can provide the files which are causing the problem, if that would aid anyone in reproducing the problem. Please let me know if you or any experts you know would be willing to give it a try!

Thanks, Jay

I doubt if it's an ASP.NET problem but just to check try placing a standard HTML file on the server that plays one of your files. If it fails, it's nothing to do with ASP.NET.

Need help finding an answer?

Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

You're absolutely right. The problem is not dependent on ASP.net - so it's Server 2003 or the new funky version of Internet Explorer. I'm going to try to isolate it further by connecting a client with an older version of IE to the new 2003 server and see if it works.

Thanks, Jay

OK, that's probably going to be the easiest way to track down the problem (eliminate what isn't the problem). I'd say it's unlikely to be an IE issue (or a browser problem), more likely a server issue (for example, permissions, IIS settings etc).

Need help finding an answer?

Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

Well your guess was right. The error must be dependent on server 2003 because it happened with the old version of IE on a different client. So now the search begins....

Nobody wins the bounty this week! The problem was with IIS 6.0 - it had no MIME type listing for ".cct" files. Something to remember! Thanks for all input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back