Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Sharepoint for Document control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadanB

IS-IT--Management
Feb 11, 2002
Hey All,

I'm sort of in a conundrum. I've recently started working at a company where I'm trying to bring them into at least the year '00 and in the process I need to do document control. I know there are software packages out there but can Document Control be achieved with Sharepoint? What I want to do is;

Version tracking

Check-in and check-out out doucments and Specs

Document profiles to add searchable information related specifically to a document for quicker identification

Controlled document access based on user roles, such as coordinator, author, and reader

Automated routing of documents to reviewers—in serial or parallel—to ensure that documents are adequately reviewed before publishing

Web discussions— Which I know is a given.

Document publishing control to enable you to publish a document automatically each time you save it to the server or to maintain private drafts and publish the document when it is complete

Can this be achieved? Or am chasing my tail here?

TIA!!!!

-Me

The only piece in your list that was deprecated from SPS2001 to SPS2003 was the reviewing/routing - which is a core feature of any DMS worth its salt. Of course, with 2K3 it's possible to program this through custom Web parts.

The remainder of your feature list, with the exception of automated publishing, are built-in functions, although they may not perform to your liking. We've seen anomalous behaviors with check-in/out, e.g.. Versioning is not as robust as most folks would have it.

I haven't been able to review MOSS2K7 yet, so I can't say whether it's a true step up. YMMV.

Phil Hegedusich
Senior Programmer/Analyst
IIMAK
-----------
I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back