Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Server Com Ports for kitchen printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevejfrank

Programmer
Feb 6, 2007
US
Is it possible to use com ports on the server to connect to remote printers?

I have four kitchen printers and my server is much closer to the kitchen than my terminals are. I was hoping to connect them to the server if at all possible. I know that you must define a terminal for the printer hardware setup, but there is an option for (000) none as the terminal name. Does this reference the server?

Steve

Nope.
You could consider IP printers and run them to the network hub.

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)

The ONLY way I could see doing it was to run FOH (iber) on the file server along with the BOH. Other than that there isn't an option.

Rob

I've been in this situation as well, and there is no easy answer.

I thought about that too, Rob-but, that would be similar to running it as a FOH/BOH situation, which means you'd have to name the server as Term1, etc.. and the big spoiler comming: you'd need to pay for a terminal license on the server, for the sole purpose of saving some time in your cabling process (i.e. paying for a terminal you'll never use). In the end, not worth it.

In short, Bo's suggestion is the best one, if you're really not wanting to run the cable, and on top of that-you'd increase your redundant capability. So it's not a horrible scenario. The big downside to running the printers from the terminals, is if that terminal goes down and normally runs a kitchen printer, you'd lose that printer as well. This would not happen with an IP printer. So, you'll get additional benefits from running it as an IP printer.

Or you can bite the bullet and run the cable to a terminal. Either of these two options is better than trying to run it from a com port on the server.

Best of luck!

If you run Iber on the server as an interface Server you don't need an extra license. Works fine.

Not to my knowledge it doesn't. To properly function, it has to be run as specific terminal, right? In which case that terminal won't be available for use elsewhere on the network. But if what your suggesting is done differently, I would certainly be interested him hearing how it's done-it could come in handy.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter for the purpose of this discussion, since running Iber off the server would not be enough. In order for the the back office pc to even be available in the pull down under terminals/printers, it would have to have the same naming convention as set by the TERMSTR in iberfg (since that's what Aloha will be looking for). In other words, the server would have to be Term1, Term2, etc.

Still in the same situation, tho-a lot easier to run a cable or us IP than try to come up with some ultra-techy solution.

Done it a lot of times. We rename the server to TERM99 configure it in Aloha Manager as an interface server (no license) and assign the printers to term99.
In large sites we even use a seperate pc with an equinox card as a "interface server"

so the sole purpose of that other computer is just to run kitchen printers in your setup?

Yes These are big hotels (30+ Terminals) we dedicate one PC only for the kitchen printers. They have up to 16 kitchen printers. This gives them the Flexibility to move terminals around. Also we are using Ethernet serial port from Equinox.

Richard.

Does Terminal Services for Windows have to be setup for this to work??

Bo

Remember,
(Red Green)

No, configure the PC the same way as a terminal.
Add a loop batchfile in the startup like this:

:START
IF EXIST %iberdir%\TMP\EXITING DEL %iberdir%\TMP\EXITING
START /WAIT %iberdir%\BIN\IBER.EXE
WAIT.EXE 10
GOTO START

If you refresh the system Iber will restart without rebooting the PC.

Richard.

Cool, thanks for the info Richard, go to know.

You know you have presented a little known piece of information when even Grand Master Bo is unaware of it. :p

However, I would think it would it would be kind of scary running all those printers off 1 PC.

Would IP printers be a better option for you guys in this case?

With IP printers you need to have the windows drivers on a PC or Terminal anyway if that one goes down you don't have any redundancy. I prefer a Print server PC or Ethernet serial ports (this box can be hooked up to the network and you can see them as local serial ports).

That is pretty scary dedicating one PC only to all of your kitchen printers. You would have to have a hell of a setup there to support 16 kitchen printers. Anyway, the ideal setup as you know is to split up the load between all printers so that in the even a terminal goes down then your kitchen printers have some "fault tolerance" and you could possible limp through the evening as opposed of your kitchen completely going dead in the event of the "single point of failure" failing. Can't emphasize that enough. If there was ANY way to do it another way I would do it. IP printers sound like a good suggestion.

Rob

For IP printers there is redundancy.
If you load the OPOS drivers on every terminal and setup all the same printers with the same names, then all you have to do when a terminal goes down is go into Manager and change the terminal that drives the printer and refresh.

Bo

Remember,
(Red Green)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back