Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using rsync?

Status
Not open for further replies.

youradds

Programmer
Jun 27, 2001
GB
Hi,

I'm trying to copy a site from my old host, to my new one. Notmally I just do it via "tarring" up the folders, then remotly FTP'ing to the old server, and grabbing the file.

Someone recommended I use the "rsync" feature though, but I can't get it working :(

Code:
-bash-3.2$ rsync -arvv -e ssh /home/chambres/public_html chapelier@208.131.157.229:/var/[URL unfurl="true"]www/html[/URL]
opening connection using ssh -l my_user 208.131.157.229 rsync --server -vvlogDtpr . /var/[URL unfurl="true"]www/html[/URL]
my_user@208.131.157.229's password:
building file list ...
done
delta-transmission enabled
total: matches=0  hash_hits=0  false_alarms=0 data=0

sent 134 bytes  received 32 bytes  30.18 bytes/sec
total size is 0  speedup is 0.00

It just doesn't seem to do any file copying - any ideas?

TIA

Andy

It is saying, "total: matches=0", which sounds like it isn't matching any files. The first thing I would try is putting a * after the last \. Granted you used the -r (recurse directories) which should account for that. The next thing would be to verify the permissions on both ends against the user that you are running the command as. Remember with apache the files are typically owned by someone such as root with read access for others. You may require write access too. Lastly, some versions require the use of ' ' around the locations, see the man pages for an explanation if you think that may be an issue.

If all else fails try the tar ball approach or even use SCP, which works like copy and can do the directories over SSH.

Hi,

Thanks - I forgot about this thread :)

Managed to get it working perfectly with:

rsync -avz -e ssh user:eek:ld_server_iod:/old/path /new/path

Works a charm now :)

Cheers

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back