Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using robocopy to supplement offline files and folders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 20, 2003
GB
Hi guys

I am currently writing (I hope) a robocopy script to use to supplement the offline files and folders functionality on XP.

Currently a large number of users cancel the sync process as it takes too long.

We are replacing almost 600 of these laptops in the next 3 months and we dont want to lose the data.

I am after writing 2 scripts, one to sync the data up to the server (which will always be h:\ if we are logged on as the user) and another which does something similar, but simply does a report without moving the data.

the first one is simple enough, the second im not sure about.

Also I dont know where on the local PC the offline files and folders data sits, can anyone advise? Rather painfully i cant have it set up on my own pc so testig will have to wait for a while.

Consider the Microsoft Powertoy Synctoy:
Or, AllwaysSync:
Or, SyncBack:
Or, SecondCopy:
As for your Robocopy questions:

The L switch lists but does not perform the actual copy. You can use file redirection (the ">filename" at the end of the command line) to record or log.
/L : List only - don't copy, timestamp or delete any files.

The Client Side Cache (CSC) is located as a hidden, system folder here: %WINDIR%\CSC

Net Use U: /delete
Net Use U: \\ServerName\%UserName%

robocopy "C:\Documents and Settings\%UserName%\My Documents" U: /e /xo

robocopy "C:\Documents and Settings\%UserName%\Favorites" U: /e /xo

Net Use U: /delete

*Note I tend to use net use to delete and recreate the path and clean away the path afterwards so we don't end up with hanging previous maps that could affect logon script mapped drives.

I know it's an old post but I wasn't on Tek-tips for a while. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back