Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Repair on the XP installation disk 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

erwin001

IS-IT--Management
Mar 28, 2006
US
I've had a few corky problems with my XP operating system. When I boot my computer, it would get to the user interface before I enter my desktop and flash an error blue screen. Then it would recycle through the booting process. This would continue numerous times. When I finally accessed the desktop, I downloaded and installed a number of windows updates, which seems to have cleared the problem. I in turn would like to do a repair on my operating system using my original XP installation disk. I allowed my computer to boot from the CD, and I pressed (R) Repair to attempt to repair the program. I click the correct drive containing the XP that I wanted to repair. At this point I'm asked for an administrator password. I simply clicked the enter button because I never setup a password, but nothing happens. It simply brings up the c:\Windows prompt. Is there a way to determine the password, or is it a standard prenamed password, or is there a workaround?

Hi Erwin, I think you're hitting the 'R' key too early - wait for the second repair prompt when you boot from the XP CD.

if it brings up the c:\windows prompt there is no password as you suspect.

I would advise caution in doing a repair on your XP install if you have updated the OS with SP1 or SP2, I have tried this in the past and the repair failed.

As an alternative open a cmd prompt when windows starts, type sfc.exe /scannow, it will ask for your windows cd and will check all of your system files for consistency.

I think you're hitting the R at the wrong point in time.

I always thought a "fast repair" was option F.

It sounds like you're booting into the recovery console, but you dont want to do that. You want to do a "fast repair" or whatever it's called.

Hi, whats happening is your entering the Repair prompt. This is like dumbed down version of dos.

To repair the installation you need to go to Setup not repair.
Next you should get blue screen where you need to press F8

Then you will get option to repair or install fresh. This is point you want to click R "To repair selected Windows XP installation"

Have your CD-KEY as you will most likely be prompted for it.

Repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

312149 - HOW TO: Enable Administrator to Log On Automatically in Recovery Console

308402 - 'The Password Is Not Valid' Error Message Appears When You Log On to Recovery Console in Windows XP

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

Slipstream Service Packs
thread779-900263

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back