Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Remote Desktop Across networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrB0b

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2011
US
So here's the deal,
I need to be able to remote into a computer on a totally different network. I can easily do so with Teamviewer and Logmein although I need audio from that PC as well which neither of those do. I was told RDC built in Windows one could do it. Ive used RDC to connect to servers in our network with no problem. I have personal access to both the PC I want to connect to and the one doing the connection although I only have access to our router and not theirs.

I have went in and made sure that it is allowed through the firewall, according to a Microsoft article, I have to have access to their router and forward port 3389 to my IP but I cant do that if I dont have access to it.

Any advice?

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver...

So you need to use RDC because audio is required. But first you need to get that port forwarded on the remote router.

Since you can use logmein to gain access to the computers on that remote system, could you first connect with logmein to a computer on that remote network? You would then be on the same subnet as the routers, and you should be able to configure the router's port forwarding. Then use RDC on the computer you forwarded port 3389 to gain access to the audio portion.

Of course, if you don't have login credentials for the remote router, this won't work.

Yea, thats where my stumbling block is. I dont think the local power company would want me messing with their router and without the ability to log in, makes it harder. Was hoping someone had a different free remote viewer or knew a way around the issue we have with RDC.

do you have the pro version of LogMeIn? if so it should support audio...

also the following support audio:

Netman

Netop Remote Control

rdesktop: A Remote Desktop Protocol Client

TeamViewer

just a few I picked out from a more comprehensive list found at:

Comparison of remote desktop software

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Thanks BBB,
Just stumbled across that list myself and was looking it over. Teamviewer says it does but maybe in the paid version because I could not get it to work in the free.
Dont have a pro account for logmein and getting ready to try the others. To be perfectly legal, it would need to be a viewer allowed for commercial use as well which makes the search a bit more difficult.

Teamviewer appears to support audio in the sense of a VoIP transmission (like Skype), so with a mic and headphones you can communicate to the person you are providing the remote assistance.

Dan

Thanks for the reply Dan,
Unfortunately I need sounds that come from a program. We have an alarm set up that when a value reaches a set point a text and sound based alarm goes off. That is the biggest issue we have with it which in the grand scheme of things isnt all that bad I guess. Maybe an Autoit script might be a workaround...

I dont think the local power company would want me messing with their router...
How about you having their IT people "mess around with their router" and set up port forwarding for you?

To be perfectly legal, it would need to be a viewer allowed for commercial use as well which makes the search a bit more difficult.
LogMeIn Free is not for commercial use.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.
Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back