Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using relative path names with linked tables?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wminter

Programmer
Jun 5, 2002
US
Hello

I need to work on a database including linked
dbase tables in two locations, on a shared
drive at our office and on my local workstation at home. It is easy to ftp files back and forth, and to copy both the .mdb and .dbf files. However, the references in the .mdb file to the linked .dbf tables use full path names. Since the files are on different drives, even though the directory names are the same, it is necessary to update the links with linked table manager each time a copy is made.

Is there a way to avoid this by setting access to use relative path names without
the full path.

Thanks

hey wminter.

I have been attempting to do a similar thing with seperate db's on a remote box, have managed to solve my problem with the details on the following thread.

Hope it helps.
thread181-303265

I have recently worked on a similar problem and developed a solution that can be automated by catching the error code if the opening form cann't find it's table then asking the user which location they are at. Thern delete all links and relink with the full path of the location where the users says they are.

The code for this is in the thread

thread700-293175 I shared with someone else for a different problem a couple of weeks ago.

'ope-it-'elps.

G LS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back