Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Python to access data in MySql

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerjim

Programmer
Jan 4, 2001
PH
Hi to everyone:

I have just begun to study Python having downloaded the interpreter, an IDE and a host of e-books, tutorials and articles on the subject. I have also accessed the sourceforge website and have downloaded MySQLdb 0.9.2. Now I am trying to figure out what to do with the file I downloaded???? I saw the post by mhamilton3 but as a newbie I couldn't fully appreciate the questions posed and answers given.

But I need to get up to speed like YESTERDAY. In particular, I want to convert a VB5 application accessing a Access95 database which I developed 5 years ago and which is starting to show its age. My client has asked me to upgrade the package. I DON'T WANT TO USE MICROSOFT PRODUCTS and thus after posting several questions on various forums I have decided to use Python and MySql.

As I said I need to get up to speed, so could someone please point me to websites or whatever resources which explain how to wed Python and MySQL, that is how to program Python to manipulate the tables and records in a MYSQL database. (I am already perusing the MySql Bible).

Thanks in advance and please count me as an ardent Python disciple. Microsoft goodbye.

JerJim

First you need the modules to allow python to access the database, get them from sourceforge:
Then you need to know SQL, which is beyond the scope of this posting.

There are a bunch of tutorials on the net, so read a couple and post back here with more specific questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back