Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Perl on a Windows Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycruce

Programmer
Jun 25, 2002
US
I am using perl with PerlBuilder2 on a Win 2000 machine. I would like to make use of DBI.pm to improve on the flat file databases I have been using. I have been trying to figure out how to install a Perl Module on my windows system and haven't had much luck - I'd love to know where to go to find out how to do this. Any suggestion?

I have also tried running perl from the command line prompt and can't figure out what is going on. I run perl.exe and get a dos window without any kind of prompt. If I type
% print "hello"; I get an error
typing anything without a leading % is ignored
typeing

% perl 'print"hello";' doesn't work either.

Any suggestions?

Hi Andy,

Sounds like you've probably got all of the things you need already in place actually.

If you're using ActiveState's Perl from then the DBI and the file DBD's are already installed on your machine.

I'm not familiar with PerlBuilder but I would be surprised if any Windows Perl utility wouldn't work with ActivePerl.

To run a simple Perl script on your machine, save the following into the file "myscript.pl".

print "Hello World\n";

and then call the script like this:

perl myscript.pl

Your aims sound quite achievable, it just sounds as if you need to do a little reading. You'll likely find the Perl HTML documentation on your system under the directory c:\Perl. Mike

"Experience is the comb that Nature gives us, after we are bald."

Is that a haiku?
I never could get the hang
of writing those things.

Thanks Mike - I got it all going after I made this post. As it turns out I was able to find the same database program my hosting company uses mysql and down load a windows version onto my machine. I then got the DBD from active state and installed it. After that it was supprisingly easy to get everything running.

Thanks for the help

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back