Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using PDF from VB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2001
NZ
How to open a instance of PDF file from VB and how to read and write values to the Fields of that PDF file.

To open and print a PDF from VB you can look in the ActiveX folder of your reader installation. Something like C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\PDF.ocx

To read and write to a PDF file you will need either parse out the file your self (GOOD LUCK) or you can download the ADOBE SDK from
Contained withing the SDK are VB examples that should show you the way in what you are trying to to.

There are also many 3rd party vendors that have applications that you can use to modify PDF files. One of them is

Thanks for the reply. I tried something like this

Dim myObj as New PDF
myObj.LoadFile ("D:\XXX\ZZZ.pdf")

But nothing happened (the PDF file didn't get loaded). I would be thankful if you can tell me how this really works out. All I needed is to create a instance of the Acrobat Application and open a PDF file.

Did you install the ADOBE SDK as suggested?

If not what reference to PDF are you using? Let me know if this helps

'There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.'

To open and print a PDF from VB you can look in the ActiveX folder of your reader installation. Something like C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\PDF.ocx

Right Click on the toolbox (from within VB) and select components. A dialog should come up and you should be on the controls tab. Select the browse button and navigate your way to the above OCX wherever you have it installed.

You can then use code simular to this to open up the file.

[tt]
Do While Pdf1.LoadFile(mypath) = False
DoEvents
Loop
[/tt]

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back