Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using PCL to print TIF

Status
Not open for further replies.

newToPCL

Programmer
Aug 25, 2004
US
Hello all:
I am very new to PCL programming. I am working on printing TIF images with HP laserjet 9000. In one print job, I need to insert split sheet (color paper from different tray) for each image printed. I am wondering that if I need to convert TIF images into PCL format to do that, or I don't need the conversion.
I am using Java, can java do the conversion fro TIF to PCL or I need other utility to do it?

Any advice is appreciated

Karen

If you are printing from DOS or UNIX directly to the printer, rather than through a windows driver, then the image will definitely have to be converted to PCL format before it gets to the printer.

I know nothing about Java, but would suspect that it does NOT perform image conversions.

Jim Asman
jlasman@telus.net

Hi Jim:

If I print through the windows driver, do I still have the control of putting split sheets in between each image printed?

Thanks

Karen

Honestly, I don't know.

But it should really be a function of your application to tell the driver to pull the paper from a specific tray.

What is the nature of the application?

Are you simply inserting the same color sheet between all images; e.g., image on white and all inserts on yellow, or is there some kind of coding scheme using more that one color?

Are these images done in batches or one at a time?

Jim Asman
jlasman@telus.net

I would download the pcl technical reference (at least part l).

It makes reference to the tiff compression mode (2) though I don't know if a tiff file can be inserted all or in part.

There is also a 10M compression mode I believe but your printer may not recognize that.

I looked up the 9000 printer then looked for manuals and stuff relating to it to find the tech ref manuals in pdf.

rather large but worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back