Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Pcap on Passport 8600 v3.7.6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

stifi

Technical User
Apr 26, 2004
CH
Hi all, I just tried to use Pcap on Passport 8600 (current release is v3.7.6.0). I tried to enable ingress and egress monitoring on a specific port and got this message:

pp8600:5/config/ethernet/2/21/pcap# enable true mode both

Error: port 2/21, This hardware revision does not support Egress port mirroring

It is a 8648TX board, on a 8648TXE I can enable egress port monitoring. So for me Pcap on PP8600 is just a joke unless I'm able to monitor incoming and outgoing traffic on a specific port. Is it really true that 8648TX boards are not ready for pcap?

Thanks for any replies!

I have never tried this with PCAP but the same thing happens with port mirroring on the TX cards. You can mirror inbound or outbound but not both. I suspect this is the same issue. My understanding from our Nortel SE is that it is a hardware limitation on the TX cards.

Good Luck,

Googer

That's why it's a 8648TXE(E for ENHANCED).The tech documentation delineates the capabilities/deficiencies of the device.

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

There is a way to get both ingress and egress traffic from a specific port but you have to filter on MAC address.

riot6, and how to do that...?

Bye, Stefan

Stifi,

You can do this using DM or CLI - you must first know which port the MAC (device you want to copy packets) is located.

DM - Click on VLAN -> VLANS -> select Id of the VLAN then click on Bridge -> FORWARDING.
Find the MAC in the list and then under the MONITOR column, change from FALSE to TRUE.

CLI -
PASXXX##>:5/config/vlan/1012/fdb-entry# monitor
Not enough required parameters entered
set fdb monitor
Required parameters:
<mac> = mac address {0x00:0x00:0x00:0x00:0x00:0x00}
status <value> = fdb status {other|invalid|learned|self|mgmt}
<true|false> = monitor true/false {false|true} <<----
Command syntax:
monitor <mac> status <value> <true|false> <<-------
PASXXX##>:5/config/vlan/1012/fdb-entry#

Then in DIAGNOSTICS, setup the port mirror as you would like any other port mirror.

This will copy the MAC associated with the MIRRORED port (ingress and egress) to the MIRRORING port.

OR, just order up some "E" - Enhanced cards.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back