Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using outlook to access exchange server remotely

Status
Not open for further replies.

familyman

Programmer
Jul 30, 1999
US
I am having a problem configuring outlook for my laptop users to allow them to use the outlook client while dialed in. Our exchange server is behind a firewall and therefore the address to get to it when in-house is a non-routable address. However when dialed in the address I need to use to get to the exchange server is a typical routable IP address. It works if I change my local hosts file each time prior to dialing in, but that's an ugly solution. I have tried multiple outlook profiles (1 for in office, 1 for out of office) with a different name for the exchange server for each profile. The problem there is when I use my out of office profile once it resolves the mailbox name (check name button) the server name resorts back to the non-routable name. I'm confused - any help would be greatly appreciated.

Assuming you have outlook web access...<br>
<br>
Set up a virtual directory of outlook that points to a virtual folder ON your firewall, called exchange.<br>
<br>
Then they get onto the internet and go to the outside of your router (mail.yourco.co.uk/exchange) and log on using their mailbox name and domain logon details.<br>
<br>
Assuming you want to dial in from anywhere...<br>
<br>
How are they getting to the firewall? If you have modems strung onto the firewall, move them to an NT server on the network and only allow certain users dial in access.

We do this using RAS connection to a RAS server inside the firewall. We simply set the RAS server to assign DNS, Gateway and IP for the dialup connection. Thus no additional profile is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back