Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using ORDER BY and SQL syntax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron5

Programmer
Apr 10, 2007
US
I'm sorting a CSV file having data like this:

Lab,Bin,Group,Location,Time_In,Time_Out,Elapsed
1,11,Heart,Room 203,4/26/2015 9:46:08 PM,4/26/2015 9:51:38 PM,00:15:30
0,9,Lungs,Room 222,4/26/2015 10:06:12 PM,4/26/2015 10:26:08 PM,00:06:35

Specifically sorting by the Elapsed values using a common ADODB recordset, using this SQL string:
"Select * FROM " & "labData.csv" & " ORDER BY " & "Elapsed"

This works, except that using the above SQL converts a value like 00:15:30 (15 minutes, 30 seconds) to 12:15:30.
I want to leave these values as-is and not be formatted as time.

Any advice appreciated.

Not sure why you are getting the conversion you are seeing. I don't get that here. So this is probably caused by your regional time settings (or possibly by a schema.ini file; have you created one?)

Either way, it is a display issue only (the value is held correctly by JET), and you can display it the way you want with something like (assuming the recordset is called myrs:

MsgBox format(myrs("Elapsed"), "HH:mm:ss")

Thanks strongm.
No schema.ini file, but.

You had me thinking (about formatting) so I thought about the field in the DataReport I am sending the recordset items to, is causing this time format.
The field was set to DataFormat General, so I set it as Custom format, with "hh:mm:ss", Then VB6 changed my setting to 'Time' (HH:mm:ss) and it works perfectly.

The message box you suggested gives a type mismatch, but I need to see this in-transit value.(working on it)

Thanks a million.

Without a schema file I think you will find it will assume it is a date.
If you force it to be a string in a schema it will come out just as a string in the original form.

On my computer:-
Format("00:15:30", "HH:mm:ss") gives 00:15:30

Cvdate("00:15:30") gives 12:15:30 AM

I recently had a similar problem and this is how I made a schema from the CSV file
It was a timetable that had to be converted to a database, all fields being text
Code:
   'first make a HeaderString from the CSV file that contains only the headers (first line of the CSV file Eg Use Line Input)
    Dim HeaderArray()
    HeaderArray = Split(HeaderString, ",")    'make a small header 
    'first remove old Schema file ready for conversion process if exists
    On Error Resume Next
    Kill TimetableFolder & "schema.ini"
    On Error GoTo GeneralError

'Make new Schema file for ADODB new table procedure based on CSV header
    Close #9
    Open TimetableFolder & "schema.ini" For Output As #9
    Print #9, "[" & CSVFileName & "]"
    Print #9, "Format = CSVDelimited"
    Print #9, "TextDelimiter = """
    Print #9, "MaxScanRows = 0"
    Print #9, "ColNameHeader = True"
    Print #9, "CharacterSet = 1252"
    'add all column names from first few fields of CSV file
    For a = 0 To UBound(HeaderArray)
        Print #9, "Col" & LTrim(a + 1) & " = " & Chr(34) & HeaderArray(a) & Chr(34) & " Text"
    Next
    Close #9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back