Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using ' or % in update

Status
Not open for further replies.

baran121

Programmer
Sep 8, 2005
TR

hi ,
i want to update blow code. how can i update when there is ' or % or ---- in varchar column.
ÖNCE KUMAŞLAR YIKANARAK GÖNDERİLDİ,İSTANBUL'DA ETEK DİKİLDİ TEKRAR GELİP YIKANDI----

update model_num_det_yikama set kms_kodu=null ,lotbolge='Merkez Kesim'
,def='ÖNCE KUMAŞLAR YIKANARAK GÖNDERİLDİ,İSTANBUL'DA ETEK DİKİLDİ TEKRAR GELİP YIKANDI----'
,kms_karisim='11.5OZ 3/1Z %98CO%2EA' ,uretimyeri='KÜLEK KONFEKSİYON ÇETİN KÜLEK' ,receteno=null ,yikamareceteno=null ,yikamarecetedef='DA'
,cus_code=null ,isemriqty='1541' ,kazanqty=null ,kgqty=null ,kazanmaxqty=99 where model_num=2908

Turn any ' into double ''
Turn any % into [%]

Or parameterize your queries.

Bye, Olaf.

hi thank you for replay.
i know it it is also possible to use replace function in my VB code before using sql

but i want to use a way to update a table like store procedure wout using store procedure. because sp doesnt need to convert data
which use ' or %.

Well, as I said, parameterizing your queries you don't need to escape such characters, but when you create dynamic sql no matter if on the VB side or within stored procs, you have to escape such characters in string literals. By the way % is only needing escaping within a LIKE clause meant to find literally %, but otherwise needs no escaping. Also ' only needs to be escaped when you write queries with literal strings.

If your code is [tt]SELECT * FROM dbo.sometable WHERE somecolumn = @someparameter[/tt], the string value passed in as @someparameter does not need single quotes escaped.

Escaping is merely a problem of code containing literal strings, because they must be delimited with (enclosed by) single quotes. Every single quote inside the string needs to be escaped to tell that this is not meant as the end of string delimiter, but as literal single quote, which is part of the string. The necessety is not that hard to understand, is it?

Bye, Olaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back