Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using ODBC Provider for Oracle from Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

cRODEEkrank

Technical User
Dec 5, 2001
US
I'm currently building an ASP application which interacts with a Microsoft database with linked tables to Oracle. I've created a connection string using the ODBC Oracle provider from Microsoft and I've received the following error:

TNS:could not resolve service name

Here's my connection code:
Set conn = server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
strConnInfo = "Provider=msdaora;"
strConninfo = strconninfo & "Data Source=OracleContractorDB;"
strConninfo = strconninfo & "User Id=8789;"
strConninfo = strconninfo & "Password=8789"
conn.Open strConnInfo

Just as some background information, I can't access the Oracle database, as I'm not permitted to but do have permission to link tables via Access, so this is really my only option. Any thoughts??

CK

I'd be interested in an answer to this one too. I've got two servers. One for staging and one for production. The Oracle client is allegedly installed identically on both. I can access the Oracle instance with no problems on the staging server but get the above error on the production box. A help request to website support returned "duh".

My solution was to create a linked server of the oracle instance and run a scheduled DTS package that brings over the data that I anticipate needing. If you are able to do that another way to get at the data is to create a view on the Oracle database using the T-SQL OpenQuery syntax and call for records from the view on your web page. I don't do it that way because it's way slower that having local tables.

Unfortunately I don't have (and can't have) access to the Oracle DB, so I can't create any views on it. I'm hoping for a solution where maybe my connection string is incorrect or something.

Unfortunately your connection string is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back