Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using nsrmm to make tapes appendable

Status
Not open for further replies.

sallender

IS-IT--Management
Mar 27, 2006
US
I know I can make tapes readable and writable and recyclable and so on, but I want to make tapes appendable.

It seems LEGATO has an inherent problem of marking tapes FULL when it wrote less than the capacity of the tape. In other words, I have 50GB AIT2 tapes with 10 GB or 2GB and the tape was marked FULL.

You can change the MODE of the tape in the GUI, but I have a tape management script that my operations staff uses and they want to be able to mark all of the tapes in this condition without having to click on each tape.

The command syntax is this:

nsrmm -o <mode> -v -s $THIS_SERVER -V $VOLID

But what is the "mode" option for nsrmm to make tapes appendable?

Anybody?????

NW marks a media full prematurely if it can not recover from a write problem. So there is a reason for that behavior.

Of course you can correct that with
nsrmm -o appendable ....

I thought was the command also, but I get

nsrmm: `appendable' is not a valid flag

Sorry ... the correct parameter is 'notfull'.

Thanks Instructor!

That's it. Why is that the manpage has nothing for "notfull"?

I haven't been able to find it in the admin guide either....

THanks again!

Well, i never install the manpages but the info is actually in the command references. Have a look at the "-o mode" paragraph.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back