Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Novell Client on W2000P and I Have to Logon Twice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsynic

MIS
Jun 17, 2003
How do I get it so that it logs me on with just my Novell username? I just started a couple of weeks ago, had ZERO knowledge of Novell and I was asked to put Novell Client on a PC for someone else. Miraculously, I installed it and the person is able to access the network fine. However, my problem is more of an annoyance than anything else. I wanted the machine to be consistent with the other ones on the network. With my personal machine, at the Novell Client login window, I just type my network id and password and voila! it logs me in. However, on the machine I setup I have to type my Novell login name and then the WinNT login also. It's so annoying. However, everything's fine with accessing network resources and such.

I ran back and forth between computers to see if everything was the same and I found a couple of differences:

1.) The login script is different at the beginning. On the computer that I didn't set-up, it tells me the context, the tree and who I'm logged in as. However, on the machine I set-up, the login script doesn't have all of that stuff.

2.) When I log into as an administrator the computer that I didn't set up, the administrator's roaming profile desktop comes up. However, when I log on as an administrator the computer that I set up, I get a generic desktop. However, I still have access to the admin stuff.

The client properties are identical across both computers, however, the one I set up has an older version of Novell Client and the other one has a newer version. Could that be the reason for the inconsistancies?

1. Make the username and password the same for both networks.
2. Make Novell the primary logon.
3. Make sure you are using the latest Novell client

That should do it. If the passwords are the same you should be fine. Let me know if it still doesn't work.

1. We have all types of computers in our network. We have Windows 3.1, Win 9x, and Windows 2000 and on the non-2000 machines, we only were given a NetWare 5.1 password.

2. How do I do that?

3. I can't find the version of Client that our other computers are running on.

I think you usually authenticate to a domain. It sounds like the other workstation is not on the domain and requires local authentication. Join workstation to domain.

If I understand correctly you have a Novell shop with Windows desktops. If this is the case, I suspect you are having a DLU problem. Check your Netware User Policy and make sure Dynamic Local User is checked. Give users administrator rights to their local machine. I am sure this will fix your problem.

JJ
CNE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back