Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using notebook HD as desktop boot drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

widdgetz

Technical User
Aug 31, 2003
US
Hello,

My laptop is out for repair and I bought a convertor kit for my laptop HD so that I could use it on my older desktop while I am waiting for the laptop to arrive. Bear with me, I know very little about computer hardware.

I replaced the current connections on my desktop boot drive with the laptop HD connections and tried to boot up. The stupid COMPAQ logo appeared, but nothing would boot, the computer remained at the flashing white line. The floppy drive was trying to read something, also.

What do I need to do to make the notebook hard drive load? I am afraid that without guidance, I will lose the data on the drive.

The old hard drive ran Windows ME and the laptop runs XP Pro.

Thank you,
Ian

XP won't allow you to run a hard drive in any setup except for that which it was installed (registered drivers and such). Actually you can, but it is very complicated and not worth it for temporary use (and you may not be able to change it back to your laptop. We only do this when you change motherboards and serious upgrades. You'll just have to wait! I know, I know - I WANT IT NOW. <grin>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back