Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using network and broadcast address

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneciscokid

Technical User
Aug 18, 2006
CA
I heard that there was a way so that you can allocate your network and broadcast addresses to devices. So lets say you have the following IP space 222.222.222.4/30.

Originally
----------

222.222.222.4 - Network Address
222.222.222.7 - Broadcast Address

But I heard it's possible you change is so the network and broadcast address are allocated to devices, what would be required? Direct routes on the core devices would be necessary for starters but is there anything else?

<---wondering if someone is confused with something like the subnet zero and all-ones subnet concept...

Tim

Opps - I meant to say you'll have to use /30. My one complaint about tek-tips - no edit.

The zero and all ones subnet are something different. But, maybe he is thinking of that. ip subnet zero

I could have sworn I wrote 31. Anyway, it is /31 255.255.255.254. Really, I swear this time. Third time's the charm.

[morning]

Hey, Dan...
w w w a k k eeeee u u pppp
w w w w a a k k e u u p p
w w w w aaaaa kkk eeee u u pppp
w w w w a a k k e u u p
w w a a k k eeeee uuu p

Tim [sleeping2] [sleeping2] [sleeping2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor