Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using MySQL as a Back end

Status
Not open for further replies.

throwdini

Technical User
Oct 20, 2000
US
I have a couple MS access aplications that I have developed to be used by clients in managing their data. I have split these applications into a front end (containing only forms, reports and a scratch table) and a back end (containing the data in various tables).

Currently both front ends and back ends are in MS Access, but I am looking too use a bigger back end. I have previously looked at MySQL vs. MS SQL server for a more robust back end, but I didn't have to make the switch at that time. Now I'm pretty sure I do.

Is MySQL a good platform to use for this? or would I be better off with a MS SQL server?

Thanks in advance.

I would suggest MS SQL Server. Access is designed to work with it. The MSDE version is free and I suspect the next sizes up are cheap enough not to be an issue.

MySQL still has less features than MS SQL Server. It's a good tool particularly if you want to run very high workload applications, but in this particular instance you'd be better off with Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back