Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Mulitple versions of Crystal

Status
Not open for further replies.

wadewilson1

Programmer
Sep 10, 2002
US
Has anyone ever had an issue with using the 8.5 viewer and trying to use the version 9 tool when distributing an application?

What I'm doing is designing a program that allows user to pull reports, kind of obvious. THe problem I'm having is that there is already a program on the user's PCs that utilizes Crystal 8.5. Once I've installed my program, the user can no longer us the program that was built in 8.5. Does anyone having any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

Thanks,
Randy Christian

Well, I think it comes down to where you are installing dll's and where the other user's other cr app is placing it's dll's. I would be inclined to install your CR 9 dll's in the same manner as they are installed on your pc; i.e., if a dll is in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Crystal Decisions\2.0\bin on your system, place it there on the user's system. CR 8.5 and CR 9.0 can coexist on the same system, so it would seem to me that you ought to be able to get them to play together. If you are already doing that, I'd suggest using the modules.exe utility to see what is being loaded in memory with your app and with the other app and see what the conflict is (and also compare what's in memory on the user's pc when they just have the 8.5 app runnning successfully). It's not exactly fun work and, hopefully, someone with more experience with this situation than I have can offer a better suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back