Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using more than one DWH in MSTR7 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrvojes

Vendor
Jul 6, 2001
HR
Hello,
please help:
I need to implement a BI solution using an existing DWH, but here is the catch: some of the intended reports use data that is sored in other DBs. The inclusion of this data in the DWH is planned, but the reports are needed asap, i.e., before this happens. Is there a way to access this outside data directly from MSTR 7 without including it in the DWH? If yes, how?
My experience so far has been limited to smaller projects using single DWHs, and only with MSTR, plus my knowledge of DWHs is still tender, so please be gentle :)

Thx a lot,

Hrvoje Sunjic
MCS Grupa
Zagreb, Croatia
hrvoje@mcs.hr

what database are you using?

Oracle has a gateway product you can use to define tables found in other databases.

SQL Server also has a similar gateway product which can map tables from other databases.

IBM Datajoiner is certified by MicroStrategy.

in the SQL Server enterprise manager help, search for "Linked servers" and you will be able to follow the instructions to link any other database like Oracle to SQL Server. After that, you can easily create a view in your main database which mirrors the linked tables.

example of view would be

create view SQLServer1.SchemaX as
select * from OracleSvr.Catalog1.SchemaX Orders

(or you can also use the view manager within enterprise manager)

SQLServer1.SchemaX can then be mapped as a regular table in architect. This should work just fine.

Nick

Nick!

So what you trying to say, if I understood you correctly is that: MSTR will not allow you to pull data from more than on Db source and combine them into one report? that means that reports are required to have only one data source AL Almeida
NT/DB Admin
"May all those that come behind us, find us faithfull"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back