Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Media from another server

Status
Not open for further replies.

dprello

IS-IT--Management
Sep 27, 2002
US
Hi.

We've been using an Imaged server for a handful of server builds. Recently, (about 2 months after a server has been replaced) we start having media errors.

There is media in the drive.
There is no issue with the hardware.

I believe it has something to do with the media serial# and/or retention period.

We try to scedule a Quick Erase Plus, and format, but neither seem to work.
If we do a manual format on the media, it will work.

Anyone have a suggestion in regards to this issue?

HI,
When you say scheduled QEP\Format does not work, does it throw up errors?

Have you tried using the Job scheduler wizard to perform a QEP\format?

So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

We have tried the Job Scheduler.

We get the message:

"Scheduled command executed. Exit code is -1"

After the job "completes", it says it had run successfully, but I question that, because the date on the tape doesn't change.

I've tried to look on the CA support site to find out what their Exit Codes are, but I haven't found a reference to that yet.

I'm going to try to run the backup job again. This time I'm going to use the "Distinguish Media by Name Only." check box in the options of the backup. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Imaged ARCserve server builds are never a good idea in my experience - it may be worth an uninstall/re-install of ARCserve if all else fails.

If you do a manual quick erase (as opposed to the format you mention) what is the outcome? (quick erase/format are two different things).

If you look at the tape.log you may see more useful information on what happened if it's a hardware communication issue. If nothing is shown there it's more likely to be a task scheduler/job queue/packaging issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back