Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using local peripherals with an RDP session

Status
Not open for further replies.

USMA99

Programmer
Oct 12, 2000
US
I have users at remote locations using a VPN connection to a server here at the company HQ and then RDPing to their real workstation. We have found options to allow them to send audio or printer output to their local computer from this session, for example, but nothing related to using local USB devices such as a webcam or perhaps even a scanner within the session.

What we would like to do is run an instant messaging program within their VPN/RDP session on their HQ-PC, but use the video/audio feeds from their local PC. Is this possible and if so, how? We're stumped ...

If your users are RDP into there local pc then installing the messaging program to that pc would be fine. You can also run scripts in RDP under programs, but that I have never done.

I'm not sure that you're on the same page with my post. I can certainly install the messaging software on either computer, but I want to install it on the work computer and use a peripheral (webcam) on the local home computer.

Now I understand...RDP only allows for sharing of printers, serial ports and disk drives never heard of it sharing anything else.

Anyone know with certainty that I cannot use a local USB webcam with the IM from my RDP/VPN session?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back