Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using .local domain on LAN, .com for public email

Status
Not open for further replies.

lionelbrown

Programmer
Apr 9, 2001
US
I setup my exchange server on a local network (company.local). Everything worked fine, but I needed to receive our external email sent to @company.com. I changed the default exchange policy to use @company.com and updated to all AD users. This worked fine (all users now have 2 smtp addresses associated with their AD object: @company.local and @company.com). Email works internally and externally now. My problem is that when Scheduling a meeting with another user (using the address book or typing in the name of the person), Outlook pulls the @company.com for the address and assumes the user is external. It then pops up a dialog telling me the free/busy information is not available for the user and suggests I use the Microsoft Internet service for free/busy. If I type in user@company.local for the person I wish to schedule a meeting with, it is able to retrieve the free/busy info. Is there a way to get around this? Should I have set up the @company.com addresses differently? By the way, we have an internal dns server but are not using split dns.

Any help would be appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back