Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using linux as a router

Status
Not open for further replies.

AccessXP

IS-IT--Management
Jan 29, 2002
Not sure if this is the right form for this question.

Q- If I use DHCP sever will this alone allow others on the network to gain access to the internat? If not how can this be done any pointers would be great!

Thanks to all replies,

If your wanting to connect all through this pc then you will need NAT - have a look at for a good router replacement - this will give you all you need :)

This server is already setup as a mail server is there a way to add the second nic and supply internet to everyone plugged into the hub?

Yes, install the second NIC and set up IPTables. Bastille-Linux has a nice newbie interface. I recommend FWBuilder, it has a druid that will help you set up NAT.

I would, however, recommend a dedicated box. My firewall runs on a Compaq Pentium II 233MHz laptop, you don't need a lot of horsepower.

Everyone--

Thank you for responding to the post. As it turns out the ISP the company is using did not have the router setup correctly and now all is fine.

ericbrunson,

Thanks for your tip I will use this at one of the other companies I service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back