Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Linq to group and sum with multiple columns

Status
Not open for further replies.

tshad

Programmer
Jul 15, 2004
US
I am trying to figure out how to take some data from a datatable or class that could have 5 columns or could have 10 or 20 columns. This was created pivoting a table which gave me an unknown number of columns. But I can't figure out how to use Linq to handle this. Here is a sample set of code I have been playing with.

Code:
         var books = new List<Book>();

// Add test data
         books.Add(new Book { Author = "Douglas Adams", Title = "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", Genre = "Fiction", Price = 159.95M });
         books.Add(new Book { Author = "Scott Adams", Title = "The Dilbert Principle", Genre = "Fiction", Price = 23.95M });
         books.Add(new Book { Author = "Douglas Coupland", Title = "Generation X", Genre = "Fiction", Price = 300.00M });
         books.Add(new Book { Author = "Walter Isaacson", Title = "Steve Jobs", Genre = "Biography", Price = 219.25M });
         books.Add(new Book { Author = "Michael Freeman", Title = "The Photographer's Eye", Genre = "Photography", Price = 195.50M });

// Group the books by Genre
         var booksGrouped = from b in books
                            group b by b.Genre into g
                            select new Group<string, Book> { Key = g.Key, Values = g };

List<Group<string, Book>> bookList = booksGrouped.ToList();

// Group the books by Genre count number of books
         var booksGroupedCounted = from b in books
                                   select new GroupCount<string, Book, int> { Key = g.Key, Values = g, Count = g.Count() };

List<GroupCount<string, Book, int>> booksCounted = booksGroupedCounted.ToList();

//Group the books by Genre count number of books and sum the prices
         var booksGroupedCountedSummed = from b in books
                                         select new GroupCountSum<string, Book, int, decimal> { Key = g.Key, Values = g, Count = g.Count(), Summed = g.Sum(x => x.Price) };

List<GroupCountSum<string, Book, int, decimal>> booksCountedSummed = booksGroupedCountedSummed.ToList();

The list<> objects are set up to handle the different number of columns:

Code:
   public class Group<K, T>
   {
      public K Key;
      public IEnumerable<T> Values;
   }

public class GroupCount<K, T, C>
   {
      public K Key;
      public int Count;
   }

public class GroupCountSum<K, T, C, D>
   {
      public K Key;
      public int Count;
      public decimal Summed;
   }

The IEnumberable<> values is the grouped detail that is put into grouped item. The count and sum fields are the ones that are dynamic. But this can get unwieldy. I would need one for each possibility and have a different linq statement for each one.

I thought about have a list<> object something like:

Code:
      public class GroupCountSum<K, T, C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, C6, C7, C8, C9, C10, C11, C12, C13, C14, C15, C16, C17, C18, C19, C20, C21>
      {
         public K Key;
         public int Count1;
         public int Count2;
         public int Count3;
         public int Count4;
         public int Count5;
      }

But couldn't think about how I would do the select statement since most of the time there would be only 7 or 8.

Any way to change the Linq query to handle this?

Thanks,

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back